Sunday, February 26, 2012

More onions? Really?



What?! Aren't you tired of these things?

Ok, I admit, the sole purpose of doing this study was to fulfill a challenge issued by my good buddy Mike Sass. After posting my previous onion study he told me, "now do one in oil," and I accepted.

This time, I worked with a limited palette of only 4 colors: Titanium White, Cadmium Yellow, Alizarin Crimson, and Ivory Black.



The steps I took were similar to the steps I listed in the digital still life, though I had to think about my colors a bit harder in advance and mix them all before laying any paint down. This alla prima study also took roughly 4 hours instead of 2.

3 comments:

  1. How awesome! I really dig the process shots and the palette. Kudos on the limited palette, btw. That's always a great challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent study Cynthia! Thanks so much for sharing your process!

    ReplyDelete